Re: Re: [pyrnet] Re: Pano and diet

BTW - if you can get a hold of Atkins earlier writings - he said margarine was bad
for you prior to the studies stating it was better.  I am not saying he was a genuis
but he used "common sense".

Take care,
Dianne >>

> From: Blue Steel Great Pyrenees <bluesteel.greatpyrenees@verizon.net>
> Date: 2004/11/04 Thu PM 08:53:00 EST
> To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
> Subject: Re: Re: [pyrnet] Re: Pano and diet
>
> Oh Linda was wondering when you would come out and play <vbg>!
>
> Atkins has been around for about 30 years the diet itself is not a fad but perhaps
the "commerical" band wagon is....that remains to be seen.   I do not think it's a
miracle diet - it works for some and not others.

> Speaking of "commercial interests" - one would be foolish to think that the dog
food industry doesn't play the same game.   I noticed a lot more commerical foods
marketing "use of fresh meats and vegetables" which is the basis for the BARF Diet
(which btw I do not feed).

> Dr. Jean Dodds has been for years a big advocate that we over vaccinate our dogs -
she has done her own studies (currently doing a study on blood levels for raw fed
dogs).  Many consider and still do consider her eccentric - however, folks started to
listen.   PEOPLE started to educate themselves and started sounding off as well.
Doing titers and measuring antibodies of vaccinations can give you a good idea of
just how long these vaccinations last in our dogs.  Mind you each dog is different.

> I do not vaccinate as per the protocol but instead opted for the titers (annually)
more expensive, yes, but to date my 10 year old male has not needed - distemper or
parvo in over 7 years....same with my Murphy who we lost this year shy of 12 years
old.   Our pups had their first year and will also have titers as well.   We do
rabies because it is required by law, but we also do titers and I have been told that
in some states (I do not know which ones) titers are sufficient coverage.   I do
realize where incidences are higher they need to more on top of coverage - that's
common sense.

> Oh butter vs. oil - I did mean margarine and look how many years the Medical
community said it was the better than butter!

> Take care,
> Dianne
> >
> > From: "Linda Weisser" <lmweisser@comcast.net>
> > Date: 2004/11/04 Thu PM 12:01:44 EST
> > To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
> > Subject: Re: Re: [pyrnet] Re: Pano and diet
> >
> > I think that I may want to respond to some other parts of this thread but these
two
> > things really got my attention!!
> >
> > <<Now the vaccination protocol for dogs have changed - first puppy shots are now
> > being encouraged to be given at a later time - here in Jersey it is at 8 weeks to
> > start them off with.   Rabies vaccinations are also being changed from 3 to 6
years
> > here (not in effect yet).>>
> >
> > I think that the general shot protocol has changed in most places.  Those
> > recommendations are coming out of vet schools.  Rabies is an entirely different
> > issue.  It is zoonotic and 100% fatal in humans once *any* symptoms appear.  I
> > suspect that CDC would have some serious reactions to the extension of rabies
shots
> > too far into the future.  Current vaccines are proven good for 3 years although
in
> > any place with a high rabies incidence (TX for example) dogs are vaccinated
yearly.

> > <<As far as nutrition goes - look at the Atkins story - this diet was introduced
many
> > many years ago and was ridiculed.   Now go to the store and see all the "Low
Carb"