Re: Re: [pyrnet] Re: Pano and diet

On 4 Nov 2004 at 9:01, Linda Weisser wrote:
> future.  Current vaccines are proven good for 3 years although in any
> place with a high rabies incidence (TX for example) dogs are
> vaccinated yearly.

Yes, Texas went to 3 yrs in 2003.  And some of the other standard vaccinations have
changed in Texas.

Large Breed Dog Food - There is not that much difference from your standard puppy
food and large breed dog food<vbg>.  Let's call it marketing if you want.  There's only
one large breed dog food that has kept the protein low and that is Eagle Pack's.  It's
the same as the Eagle Natural which is what I feed my newf pup.  Protein, the deal
with protein, is once the body intakes more than is required it converts protein to
energy.  Reading the studies on great danes protein in the large breed puppy foods
still seems to be too high to me in some brands.  From some stuff I've read putting
under 1 calcium can also cause problems.  A Purina research report puts the levels
at 1 to 1.5 for puppies which also seems to come from some of the original great
dane studies.  Purina went low at 1 and Eagle went higher at 1.5.  Very recently,
there's been a few cases in newfs where the pups developed carpal hyperextension
in the fronts on the large breed dog foods.  Vets immediately took them off the large
breed and put them on adult food and the condition is correcting.  They were told
don't feed large breed puppy food to giant breed puppies.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Brooke & Lana (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices
Hutto, TX