Re: Re: [pyrnet] Re: Pano and diet

I think that I may want to respond to some other parts of this thread but these two
things really got my attention!!

<<Now the vaccination protocol for dogs have changed - first puppy shots are now
being encouraged to be given at a later time - here in Jersey it is at 8 weeks to
start them off with.   Rabies vaccinations are also being changed from 3 to 6 years
here (not in effect yet).>>

I think that the general shot protocol has changed in most places.  Those
recommendations are coming out of vet schools.  Rabies is an entirely different
issue.  It is zoonotic and 100% fatal in humans once *any* symptoms appear.  I
suspect that CDC would have some serious reactions to the extension of rabies shots
too far into the future.  Current vaccines are proven good for 3 years although in
any place with a high rabies incidence (TX for example) dogs are vaccinated yearly.

<<As far as nutrition goes - look at the Atkins story - this diet was introduced many
many years ago and was ridiculed.   Now go to the store and see all the "Low Carb"
products....>>

Yes, and most of that is fad and fancy and commercial interests deeply involved
again.  It is useful to read the scientific and academic nutritional studies on low
carb diets.  They probably won't kill you but they aren't any giant miracle either.

<<Try eating one food for a long period of time and let me know how you feel. >>

And??  Do you really mean ONE food, as in the great grapefruit diet?  Well, of course
it makes you feel lousy.  It lacks even simple balance.

<< I'm not being fresh but simply stating that nutrition does play a role.  There
have been studies shown on programs such as 20/20 and 60 minutes over the years where
people in certain parts of the country eat more of certain foods because they are in
abundance and studies show either higher incidences of certain diseases or less>>

Well, I'm not sure that 20/20 or 60 minutes is the place to gain accurate nutritional
evaluation but MOST Americans and most American dogs have reasonably balanced diets.
Optimal?  Probably not.  We could do better but it's not for the most part, a disease
issue.

<<   The "fats" good and bad - olive oil vs. butter...is just one example.>>

Or butter vs margarine. The fats issue is pretty simple.  Cook with olive oil and eat
butter.

Linda