Re: [pyrnet] Multi-Pyr Households

I think if you got a male pup you would be surprised at Czar's reaction.  When I got Couper, my now nine month old Pyr, I thought that my Pyr mix would stand up for himself and tell the young pup where to go.  Interestinly enough, it is my Golden who has become Papa Bear at my house.  I think that Czar sounds like a wonderfully mellow boy, but I think he'll also be able to put the puppy in his place.  I also think that Raisa will be a good mentor for the little fella.  When my Golden feels things have gone too far between the two pyrs, he steps in and "barks" them apart.  I think you are wise to consider a male.  That will be better for both the dogs.  Good Luck!!!!!
Jenn

"Viney, Bethany" <Bethany.Viney@tdstelecom.com> wrote:
To all of you with multiple Pyr/canine households...a question for you.

I currently have a 4 year old female Alaskan Malamute and a 3 year old male
Pyr. They get along absolutely wonderful and I wouldn't want to do anything
to upset the apple cart...I am seriously considering getting a second Pyr,
but am curious if anyone has had any challenges with same-sex Pyr
households. My concern stems from raising dominant Mals for 20 years, and
having a Mal father and son that had to be kept separate for 11 years
because of dominance issues. I don't want to have to go through that again,
but would love another Pyr pup. Raisa the Mal, is dominant over Czar, the
Pyr, and he definitely knows his place in the home. I am sure if I obtain a
male pyr pup, Raisa the Mal will have no issues with it whatsoever, but am
wondering if Czar, the male Pyr will.

I do know one thing, if I were to obtain a female Pyr, Raisa the Mal would
probably not take a liking to it very well. Evn though they are both well
socialized and attend doggie daycare every week, she is territorial with
strange dogs in her house.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Beth, Czar (Pyr) and Raisa (AlMal) in Rural Wisconsin