Re: [pyrnet] Resource guarding or aggression?

My Pyr used to do this with people, but I broke him of it by taking his bone away and making him sit before I would give it back. Did five repetitions each time three times a day for five days and no more problem, a baby could take his bone now and he would just sit and wait to get it back. Other dogs now that's a different story. He won't let our other dog anywhere near his stuff.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Liz Caldwell" <lcaldwel@grapevine.net>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 11:15 PM
Subject: [pyrnet] Resource guarding or aggression?

A woman on another breed list has asked for help -- she works with Animal
Control in the east and needs some advice on dealing with a Pyr or Pyr
cross that has just some into the pound. My experience is limited, so any
advice that can be offered would be appreciated.

Liz Caldwell
Lawrence, KS

  I have a Pyr (was told a Sammy cross, but he looks a lot like a pyr)
that is in the pound for biting a 5 year old.  Actually, he had been
re-homed less than 24 hours earlier and was given a bone, which he was
protecting at the time.  More than likely, I will have to euthanize him,
but I would like to know from other pyr members if this is something that
would be within "norm" behavior for this breed.  This dog is only just a
year old and he was placed WAY to early to begin with at only 5 weeks of
age (puppy mill in TX?).  The owner, who got him from TX, placed the dog
in a home with 2 young children but I would be willing to bet that it is
likely that he would have done well in either a working home and/or an
adult only home.  He seems like a sweetheart, which makes this really
difficult.