Re: [pyrnet] Resource guarding or aggression?

Hello,
It really upsets me when things like this happen. I understand that a child was bitten, but under the circumstances, it is understandable, this dog is confused he has just been put in a new home! Nothing is familiar to him. I think any dog would do the same, these people are stragers to him. If I were anywhere near the area that this dog is in I would go adopt him in a heart beat. It really upsets me to know that this dog is going to be put down. I wish that I could save him. As I am sure many others out there as well.

As for the agression, I have 2 dogs one my lab, she has never one made a peep when we take bones away from her, or anything else, when Dilbert out Pyr goes near her when she has something, that is another story :).
Dilbert our Pyr... he never made a peep until we game him a bone that had some meat on it, first time ever that he had one of these, and before I could make him sit for it, he had it out of my hand. Then I went to take it from him,  not thinking that this is the first time he's ever hand one of these bones, he turned into a mad dog and bite me hard. I should have been more on guard, but have since learned my lesson. And My husband managedto remove the bone from him and we taught him to never take anything from us again. He is fine now but I think that because this was something that he never has before and that it was a bone that had meat on it, this is why he bit me. And it could be why the dog bit the little girl as well. New home, unfamiliar, and depending on what kind of bone it is as well.
Hope this helps, and I hope that this dog does not have to be put down :(   Although I understand that it did bite a child it still makes me very sad, because from what I gathered it was not the child fault nor the dog, just the circumstances that it was in.
Hope this helps
Nina

Amy Bailey <newbailey@comcast.net> wrote:
Let me see if I have the chronology right---

5 week old puppy placed with someone.
after about one year, someone gives dog to a new home with two small
children,
after 24 hours in new home, new people, new expectations. dog is given a
bone.
a child who is smaller than the dog appears to reach for bone.
dog bites what appears to him to be a rival for his food
dog is now in danger of death.

The dog is at a teenager stage, probably the most difficult pyr age for
testing authority, is challenged by an apparantly lower status animal. The
dog is confused in a new home, probably overhandled because if the new
people want the dog, how could they resist cuddling him? Given a tasty bone
(was it a real bone with meat on it?? In my experience, this is
particularly dangerous), but maybe it will be taken away by a rival? My
goodness, I would bite under these circumstances !! I would guess that
nearly any dog would.

This dog could have done well if people gave him a chance to adjust and
trained both the dog and the children to respect each other.