Re: [pyrnet] RE: pyrnet-l-digest.20050318-1

 Toby our Pyr wouldn't dream of not coming to me when called, neither would any of our previous dogs,  it is our 1 year old Golden that will always take her own sweet time to decide whether it is what she really wants to do, in the house she comes immediately, she definitely knows that she has the upper hand outside, I "taught" her well!!!!

Jo, Toby and Hannah(Golden)

-------Original Message-------

Date: 03/19/05 12:57:54
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] RE: pyrnet-l-digest.20050318-1

On 19 Mar 2005 at 12:21, Ray & Jo wrote:

> I made the mistake of chasing her when she was a
> pup to try and get something out of her mouth and it totally
> backfired, anyway I found that if I sat on a low step she would come
> over to me and as long as I didn't grab for her I usually could get
> hold of her,

This is where obedience training has really helped me.  One always
needs the proper equipment to back up that 'come' command.  I use a
certain command for the recall, with a long lead.  In my case, " Here "
tells the dog I mean business and I have the equipment on the dog to
back up that command, then lots of praise. It's always my hope that
when they get the "Here" command they know the difference from the
Come on let's go, which is a more relaxed command, which means
come in the house, let's go PUP <pick up poop>, help me fill water tubs,
etc.  But then and there is always a BUT with pyrs, even with the best
training Pyrs usually don't respond to the recall as other breeds do, now
do they? ;o

Judith
Taos, New Mexico