Re: [pyrnet] Evaluating puppies

----- Original Message -----
From: <Ingraminthegame@wmconnect.com>

Some people are structurally evaluating and aptitude testing the pups at
eight weeks of age.  This gives a pretty good prediction of a good quality Pyr.
They then have the "lesser" pups juvenile spay/neutered or placed on a s/n
contract.>>

I've been breeding for years and I don't evaluate my pups at 8 weeks. Surely not
permanently.  Really too young. If pups at that age have *clear* problems.  Bad
bites, REALLY bad east/west fronts, I may be ready to alter them.  If I have x
numbers of people who want pets and I have to decide who stays and who goes
beyond that, I may chose which I think are "better".  Making end point choices
is a long process.  In some cases I have kept a dog months.  Or I have kept two
until I decded between them.  I also think that there are people who have NO
idea of how to evaluate pups doing exactly that.  At any age.

Linda Weisser
Olympia WA
lmweisser@comcast.net