Re: [pyrnet] Evaluating puppies

Well, I'm sure different people have their own way of doing things but I do know of a few who evaluate the pups at eight weeks using "Pat Hastings' method".  Maybe some don't base permanent decisions on it, but it at least helps.

We had a female pup who would've been a nice show dog, maybe even breeding.  She's going on three now and really nice but according to the evaluation, her pelvis was shaped in a manner that may have been difficult to have pups.  Since we had no real show people interested and didn't want to breed her knowing that, we had her juvenile spayed and placed her in a pet home where she guards flowers, of all things, from the deer.....although her owners did have to teach her not to dig them up.  {smile  :)  }

Here's some links showing the method, although our good friend and mentor Gloria Stubenrauch is the one who first introduced us to it.

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/pompier/First18Weeks.htm
http://www.geocities.com/cdlcruz/WhiteDog/Sage8Weeks.htm

Chrissy