Re: [pyrnet] what to feed and how much!!

Hi Sandy -

Don't worry too much about her not eating a whole lot.
 Pyrs tend to have very slow metabolisms, so a little
food goes a long way.  You don't want to overfeed a
pup and have them grow too fast - it's very bad for
them, and may lead to health problems later in life.
Lean is better.  As long as you are feeding a good
balanced diet, and she's otherwise doing well, maybe
you are trying to feed her too much.

Personally, I feed mostly a raw diet because that's
what my Gypsy does best on.  But even so, she doesn't
eat nearly what people would expect for a dog her
size.  And every now and then, thanks to dear hubby
trying to spoil her, she will refuse supper and try to
get me to give her something else.  What ever she
doesn't eat in 20 minutes gets taken away, and she
certainly isn't any worse for the wear if you know
what I mean.

My husband just runs and hides when this happens,
because he knows it's his fault.  He will (foolishly,
I think) allow her to tell him what she wants.  You
should see my kitchen cabinets - more dog treats than
people food!  And Scott will offer her one thing after
another until she gets to choose exactly what she
wants.  So this supper thing is one of Gypsy's ploys
to try to get me to do the same.  It hasn't worked in
six years, but she still has to try it every so often!
 Dear husband, by the way, is NOT allowed to feed her supper...

Jeanne Bravin
Port Jefferson Station, NY
GypsyunLTD@yahoo.com