[pyrnet] Cody the Flying Pyr

Well, I had an interesting experience with Cody on Good Friday.  We have square bales of hay stored in an out-building.  People have been buying and when taking it away, have formed "steps" with the bales.  Cody loves to sniff around the hay because the rabits hang out there.  So, he decided to climb up.  He isn't coordinated enough to get his back end over two bales, so I gave him a boost.  Then he made his way higher and higher on the hay stack and was watching his steps carefully.  As he made his way to one side of the pile, where the hay stairs had not been created, he looked down from a height of 5 bales, about 8 feet up.  I thought, "he wouldn't dare..."  and sure enough, he took a leap from that height to the ground.

He landed right on his chin and belly.  I think I had a heart attack with my first thought being how am I going to lift a 90lb Pyr and get him to an emergency clinic?  But, Cody stood up, gave himself a good shake and went off to look at something else.  Now he goes up only on the first bale and then gets down the same way.  So that was my adventure with a flying Pyr - the same one that at 2 years of age still will not go up or down stairs!

Christine