Re: [pyrnet] Pyr surgery

On 6 Apr 2005 at 19:26, Alex S. E. Schofield wrote:

> Next
> week I go to a teaching college for full diagnosis and x-rays. The
> local vet feels that cruciate surgery or TPLO may be needed.

Alex, any decision you make is a very personal one.  I am going to help
you though the diagnostics.  Being your girl is 10.5 years of age, any
type of veterinary procedure is going to be hard on her.  First of all, the
only thing an x-ray is going to rule out is dislocation, cancer or a bone
deformity.  A plain x-ray cannot diagnose an ACL. When the first
diagnostic x-ray is done, be sure and request an x-ray of the entire leg,
from the hip to the toes. Above all you want to rule out an
osteosarcoma!  An experienced othopedic vet can diagnosis ACL
problems by palpation of both rear legs to judge the laxity of the joints
and compare that laxity. An MRI will certainly diagnose a torn ACL.
Expensive..YES!

One question...have you tried keeping her quiet, crated and giving her
some type of NSAID medications to see if the condition will improve?
NOT Rimadyl, but there are other NSAIDS that have less serious side
effects.

Judith, Radiologic Technologist for way too many years now!

Judith
Taos, New Mexico
jsmiller@newmex.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~ksane/judy/