Re: [pyrnet] Any Experience with Greyhounds and Pyrs?

in response to the daily exercise needs, my 2 greys do NOT get daily exercise. A couple of times a month I let them romp and run in my large fenced yard, but the other days they sleep. That's it. They SLEEP! Greyhounds are called 43 mph couch potatoes and they earn that nickname.  When I walk my pyr and my greys together I have to take double laps around the block, leaving my greys after the first lap and then finishing the rest of my walk with my pyr. Greys are sprinters and they are finished after a couple of minutes even when they run. My female used to love to run but she suffered and injury a couple of months ago so its not practical or safe for me to let her run. She has adjusted very well to that and is quiet and content in the house, although I know that if I were to let her, she would run willingly and happily in the yard.
  As for the female dog of your neighbors, my female is grouchier than my male.  She keeps the pack order and makes sure the boys (pyr included) do her bidding. Girls are like that in my opinion.
  As for the squirrel thing, my greys were and are very fast and will kill a bunny, a bird or a squirrel if they are in the yard. I used to try to stop it until the time when I made my male release a squirrel that he caught and before it could fall from his mouth, the animal turned and punctured my greyhounds face with its teeth. It was injured and died anyway but it would have been much more humane to let my grey kill it the first time instead of trying to interfere.
  As for muzzles, they dont like them but they are used to them after the track and any time you have more than one grey running in a large fenced area its safer to muzzle them. They can get excited as they vie for position in the 'race' and accidentally hurt each other. Its just safe and not a big deal. They have plastic muzzles, metal or leather ones but we like the plastic better.
   Good luck with anyone that wants a greyhound. They are loving and wonderful easy pets, but you will still want your pyr for protection.