[pyrnet] Fw: CORRECTED INFORMATION (on Greyhounds at track in CT))

Subject: (Fwd) RE: (Fwd) [great_pyrenees] Fwd: [Wolfhound-Friends] CORRECTED
INFORMATION

I am forwarding this CORRECTED information as requested by Liz
Ardell. Note none of these dogs will be euthanized, see below.  Please
send this corrected information on to any lists that received incorrect
information.

Send reply to:  <ardell@environmentalworks.com>
From:           "Liz Ardell" <ardell@environmentalworks.com>
To:             "'Judith Stroh Miller'" <jsmiller@newmex.com>
Subject:        RE: (Fwd) [great_pyrenees] Fwd: [Wolfhound-Friends] HELP
NEEDED!!!
Date sent:      Tue, 3 May 2005 18:33:26 -0500

Can I ask if my email stating the correct information was sent out to
these yahoo! Groups? If not, would you be willing to forward my email
to these groups since I am not a member of them?  I greatly appreciate
you taking the time to send this information to me.  I want everyone
to understand that the Plainfield Track is doing everything it should
be doing with regards to these retired racers and all 800 (approx
number at this point) will find loving adoptive homes.

If you are amenable to sending out an email to your group - please use
my previous one that you read or this one...Thanks again!

*********
None of the racing greyhounds will be euthanized at the Plainfield
Racetrack (Connecticut has a law stating that no racing greyhound can
be euthanized) A lot of rumors were flying around over the internet
over the weekend - a lot of those were started by folks who thought
they had the whole story, but did not.  The greyhounds from the
Plainfield racetrack will either be transferred to another racetrack
in the US to continue their racing career, be returned to a farm for
breeding purposes, or be adopted to loving homes. I do believe that
the number of greyhounds available for adoption is still being figured
out at this time.  So an approximate number of 800 dogs is just that,
an estimate.

Additionally, you can find updates on the Plainfield Track closing at
the following websites - some of the websites may not explain the
whole story, for they are written for those that are involved in the
track closing and are knowledgeable about what will need to transpire
to get all the greyhounds adopted.  Liz

On GreyTalk.com -
http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=94917

A retired racing greyhound adopter's website with ongoing updates
regarding the situation - http://greyhoundtails.com/index.php

Here is the current press release from the Plainfield Racetrack.

Media Contact:  Peggy Mackinnon (303) 320-6082

Plainfield Greyhound Park to Place All Greyhounds Affected by 2005
Temporary Closure Track welcomes the assistance of adoption groups
and
people who wish to adopt greyhounds

PLAINFIELD, CT (May 3, 2005)-Karen Keelan, executive vice president
of
Plainfield Greyhound Park in Plainfield, CT, said today that the track
is committing available resources to ensure that greyhounds displaced
by the decision to cease greyhound racing as of May 14 for the
remainder of 2005 will be sent to another track to race; be returned
to the farm or owner, whether for breeding purposes or placement in a
local adoption program; or placed in homes as pets in accordance with
the wishes of the greyhound owners.

"Greyhound welfare is our first priority and we will keep the kennel
area open until the greyhounds are suitably placed," Keelan said.

The track will apply for racing dates in 2006 and is committed to a
live racing season in 2006.  Throughout the remainder of 2005 and
2006, Plainfield Greyhound Park will continue to offer wagering on
races from other tracks via simulcast seven days a week.

The track, the National Greyhound Association (NGA) and the racing
kennels are in the process of identifying which greyhounds need
adoptive homes and are working with local and national adoption
organizations to place them. Some greyhounds will transfer to other
greyhound tracks to continue their racing careers.

Plainfield Greyhound Park welcomes help from adoption organizations
across the country and from individuals who wish to adopt a greyhound.
A special toll-free number has been set up to place these dogs in
homes as pets. People interested in adopting a greyhound should call
1-888-267-1099. In addition, people can visit www.greyhoundpets.org to
learn more about adoption of these wonderful animals.

 "I've worked with Karen Keelan and Plainfield Greyhound Park over the
years, and know how deeply she cares about the welfare of
greyhounds,"
said Rory Goree, president of Greyhound Pets of America, the largest
independent greyhound adoption organization in the United States.
"I'm very confident these greyhounds will be treated well.  Greyhound
Pets of America and other adoption organizations will work with Karen
to help find homes for any of the greyhounds available for adoption."

Goree said that greyhounds continue to gain popularity as pets because
of their unique attributes. They are very affectionate animals and
most are good with children and other pets.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/5JOolB/TM