[pyrnet] Re: Thin Pyr

Good morning, Pyr friends!
Five weeks ago I brought in an older (probably over 7 y/o) neutered,male Pyr that was left in the night drop of a local shelter and then turned over to ACC to be destroyed.
I am a placement partner with ACC, so they called me and I picked him up as soon as they were able to release him to me (after five days).
(you all may remember that at that time I requested members of the list if anyone knew of anyone that was missing a Pyr in south Florida - with no response)

Anyway, Baloo is here to stay, apparently and seems unable to gain any weight.
He is heartworm negative and I am keeping him on preventative, he was also wormed with ivermectin at the time he was brought to ACC and then I wormed him with Nemex two weeks later...
He only weighs about 80 pounds and since he is as tall as one of my other rescues, Sophie who is 116, I figure he should be at least 120 to 130.  His bones are very prominent in both the hip area and the shoulder area, while his coat is very full (he was very matted but we worked on that and he still has a few on his neck - a more difficult area).
I am feeding him the fattening Parmesean biscuits that I got the recipe from one of the Pyr pages (all my dogs gained 10 pounds the summer I started baking them).  I also have him on a premium food, Timberwolf Organics Black Forest (which is Venison and Lamb based) and I also add Wysong's Venison Au Jus (which is pure venison).  He eats heartily without be obnoxious or overprotective.  His stools are fine and I constantly monitor him and know he is not throwing up.  I also feed him liver brownies treats which I bake myself (I got him licking the batter off my hands last week for the first time, while he still won't eat a biscuit in front of me).  The brownies are made from beef liver, eggs, carrots, green beans, elephant garlic, bulgur wheat, oats, and corn meal.

I feed him several times a day (started with five as he was only able to take in less than a cup at a time).  He is not tremendously active and just kind of lumbers around (although I have seen him gait in the last few weeks a few times).

Does anyone have any ideas on why he would not be gaining weight?  He was seen by two vets, at both the shelter and ACC.  I will bring him to my vet this week - I have been trying to put some weight on him and work on his coat before I brought him in.  I am fearing he may have cancer because of his lack of ability to gain weight.  He seems comfortable and content and I don't want to put him through a lot after all that has happened to him (one can just imagine). It has taken a lot to earn his trust and is a constant process.

Any ideas to help me would be appreciated (although I will still bring him to vet, regardless).  I guess I am just trying to settle my mind away from it being cancer.

Regards,

Does

Lisa
Oliver (Beardie), Derby (Aussie), Jelly (Tibetan Terrier), Taffy (Kuvasz)
Sophie, Baloo, CeeCee, Tonka, Cubbie, & trixiesueFRANCES (Great Pyrenees)
ALL RESCUED!
Oliver's House, Incorporated - 561.379.8328 - oliverslb@aol.com
"Dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation, and placement of dogs in Palm Beach County"