Re: [pyrnet] CHAT: Rescue Dogs

I adopted Cameron from the Texas Great Pyr Rescue in February 2005.  They charge $150 for adult dogs, which I thought was unbelievably reasonable.  They are truly a great rescue group and have been very supportive and helpful.  They are based out of Houston and we are in El Paso.  The rescue group in New Mexico was alot closer to our house, but didn't want to adopt out of state (even though we are on the border), so we drove to Houston.  It was worth it, though, because Cameron is just an amazing dog and we love him to pieces.

Good luck with finding a rescue dog.

Patty

Elaine Ferreira <ferreirae@earthlink.net> wrote:
When I fenced in my backyard, I thought it would be the perfect time to find
a little pal for Pico the roam the yard with. I did let Pico's breeder know
I was looking around, but I thought it would be a nice idea to find a
rescue, since I don't really want a puppy. I started looking at some of the
online rescue organisation site and I have to admit that I was a little
surprised at some of the prices the rescue orgs are asking.

One of the ads I saw for a "special needs" puppy was looking for $500. I am
not sure if they were trying to recoup some medical costs or what, but that
seems a little steep to me. That is the highest price that I saw, but I have
seen a couple ads for between $400 and $500.

Is this the norm? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Elaine and Pico (looking for a SWFP (single white female Pyr))

as the BODY of the message. The SUBJECT is ignored.