[pyrnet] Ongoing problems with rescue Pyr Zoe

On Friday 27 May we were notified that a heartworm positive Pyr was going to be put to sleep that afternoon at the SPCA so we brought her home. She is a lovely animal named Zoe. We have had her x-rayed and she was found to be at State 2 (of 4) of the heartworm process.

Zoe is the ultimate Velcro dog, but she eats little, we usually have to feed her by hand. She is extremely under-weight. We had her blood tested yesterday, the blood was tested locally (at the vet's office) but the results were disturbing. We plan to do more detailed blood work and would appreciate insights on what tests we should get done nest. The parameters outside normal range were:

ALT: 100 (top end of normal (10-100)
AMYL 232 (very low, normal is 500-1500)
Cholesterol: 316 (high end of 110-320)
TBIL 0.1 (low end of 0-0.9)
HCT: 30.3 (low, normal 37-55)
HGB: 10.3 (low, normal is 12.18)

We called the vet who saw her the day before she was turned in, the owners learned that she had heartworm and infections in both ears and turned her in to the SPCA the next day.

We can't get any more history on this dog, the vet called the phone number on file and it was disconnected. It is so frustrating.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on what further tests (blood or others) to pursue. We have no history of where she lived her first five years, so maybe we should do a Lyme test.

Thank you for any help. By the way, we gave Zoe a treat last Thursday - a day at the groomer's and she came home looking gorgeous. Shirley McGreal

Dr. Shirley McGreal, Chairwoman
International Primate Protection League
PO Box 766
Summerville, SC 29484, USA
Phone - 843-871-2280, Fax- 843-871-7988
E-mail - smcgreal@ippl.org, Web: www.ippl.org

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries. ~ AA Milne