Re: [pyrnet] Growl and Snap

How old are the dogs now?  Is this a teenager testing her status?  Is she in heat as well as the heat of the weather?  Was she remorseful to you later?

My Charlie went through a couple of teenage testing times and some "canine boot camp" reminded him that I was boss.  It took only few hours of no privaledges for him to remember his place, then a few days to reinforce.  He grew up and passed the stage.

Is the weekly treat so good that it was really worth the growl? Perhaps a smaller treat every couple of days might not build the expectation so high?  Is the treat a real bone with meat on it?  Years ago, my three dogs of different breeds used to have a tough time when they all had meaty bones and the vet suggested to me that there was something that brought out the primative wolf about bones and to stop giving them to the dogs to achieve peace at home.

Amy with Charlie and Sweet Madeleine

Hey Folks,

A very scary situation occurred yesterday with my female? I gave both the boy and girl their weekly treat? The boy wasn?t as interested due to the heat, where as the girl decided to take both treats for herself.

When I approached her to retrieve the boys treat, the teeth came out with a fierce growl, and a small snap. I was able to secure her by the rear of the neck, and brought her inside, all the while growling and showing her teeth. As I was walking near the boy, she snapped at the boy, luckily missing him.

I have seen their father due this, but have never experienced this before with my group. I understand the dominance between the two, but going after me in totally unacceptable in my eyes.

As pups and up until last week, I would always approach the dogs, and purposely take their treats/dog food away for a second, and then return. I thought I was reinforcing who?s boss.

Any thoughts or suggestions? This is really bothering me.

Thank you,

Murph