Re: [pyrnet] PAWS - Help me out here

It focuses only on bringing under regulation high volume commercial dealers currently evading regulation and on strengthening the Secretary of Agriculture's ability to identify and bring into compliance high volume dealers who are not in compliance with existing law or, as a last resort, shut them down."
    I enjoy a long history of expressing my opinion to state and national legislators, but try to do so from a carefully informed position to maintain continued credibility and access.
    I have NEVER bred a dog, nor sold a pup, nor do we own an intact dog; so I have no basis to even begin to calculate how (or if) this legislation might impact knowledgeable, responsible breeders; several of whom so generously offer their expertise to the rest of us on this board.
    I do hold the strong personal opinion that too many ill-informed people are breeding dogs (of all kinds) for money alone, in horrible conditions, with little or no regard for the integrity of the breed or their own animals.  Rescue organizations are swamped with the task of humanely trying to mop up the mess that just keeps pouring over.  As you read it, do you see the application of the proposed legislation as a measure that will significantly impact resolution of the problem?
     From the synopsis of the PAWS legislation it would appear reasonable, but will certainly be rewritten and fine-tuned.  Responsible comments are more likely to be heard and incorporated before that final rewrite.
    I'm a bit concerned about its specific application to a "residential setting" -- that seems to leave the pasture gate wide open to local zoning designations and except ugly breeding practices if they move far enough out into the countryside.  (more unpleasant neighbors? :)   Do you read it that way too?
    Unenforceable law rapidly becomes a stack of useless federal paperwork.  Funding for enforcement gets all wound up in the budgetary gears at local, state and federal levels.  Is this a duplication of state law where you live?  If so, does a tack-on federal charge deter or prevent activities that are already prohibited by state law?
     My personal knowledge of the subject may well include "great puddles of ignorance".  Before I put my foot in one, would the Pyr breeders here care to help me mold my opinion before I start firing it off to the powers-that-be?

Nancy
www.hensteethandfroghair.com