Re: [pyrnet] Question

Nancy,

I'm sure Ombre would guard if need arises.  I do think an emergency entrance for her would be a good idea.  Cameron is very laid back as well, and sometimes moves at a snail's pace (and he's only 2 years old!), but he's so very quick when he feels a threat.  He's our first pyr and we've only had him since February, but it feels like he's been here forever.  He does make me feel very safe at home with the kids.  My husband is in the Army and is gone sometimes, which is one of the reasons I really wanted a dog.  I know Cameron would lay down his life for our 2 little boys and is so funny about the way he guards them.  If someone he doesn't know comes up to the kids, he just stands in front of the boys, almost saying "you'll have to get through me first".  I did so much research about the breed and knew it would be a great match for us, and so far it has been.  Although, Cameron just dug an enormous hole in the back yard yesterd! ay and made such a mess of himself while doing it, I could have let him stay out there all day!  We're in El Paso, so underneath any "lawn" is all sand, and it rained here the day before so it was WET SAND.  Cam looked like he'd been to the beach and smelled even worse.  But, he's still my big baby and after a good wiping down of the legs and paws and a long lecture, he was allowed back indoors.  Maybe he was digging to have a rendevous with Ombre??? ha ha ha.

Patty

Nlduzan@aol.com wrote:
    Thanks Patty,
    Your tale of Cameron guarding the fence is a great comfort.  Ombre seems so laid-back and sweet natured, but it's great to know she would probably aggressively guard should the need arise.  We're old. We live so far out that I sometimes feel like a "prime target" for the lesser-human-types who beat old people to death in their own homes for their "heart medicine and $2 cash".  The older we get, the more vulnerable I feel.  Wish our fencing was situated so that Ombre could patrol all the way around the house instead of just in the back.  We've considered that, but it's a huge expense and massive amounts of manual labor -- and all my precious flower gardens are in the front where she can't dig holes to China. :)
    I do intend to replace the big double paned, double wide, back door with a door I'm sure she could get through. (she already tore up the screen just playing with it) Haven't shopped yet, but I'll find something, even if it has to be a Dutch door that opens inward with a loose latch. :)  She normally has no burning desire to come in the house, but once in awhile if we let her in, she just wanders and looks at everything (especially the Mini-Pin hiding under the bed :) and then goes back out.  I just have a gut feeling that an "Emergency Entrance" for her is a good idea.
    I'm reminding myself that I'm not afraid of anything, but that's at least partly due to the fact that I try to be careful, prepared, and locked & loaded :).

Nancy
www.hensteethandfroghair.com