[pyrnet] Dewclaws

My wife and I are the proud owners of a 10.5 month old Pyr named Caesar.  http://69.73.61.13/dog.jpg  if you want to see him.   Anyway, my question is about the dewclaws found on Pyr's.  I've heard from several people that Pyrs should have them and they shouldn't be removed.  However, Caesar was recently romping around and, I guess, managed to snag one on a fence or some other something.  This led to some nasty bleeding and a rather nasty blood stain on our couch.  He has since healed, but I've begun to wonder whether the claws could pose a continual problem, and if so,   whether having them removed would be better for the dog.  Does anyone out in Pyrland have an experience like this, or better a solution???

note: we do keep his nails clipped -- typically done every 6 weeks or so.

Thanks so much,

Brad Horton