[pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20051104

In a message dated 11/5/2005 12:00:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:

  My wife and I are the proud owners of a 10.5 month old Pyr named Caesar. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>What a beauty He is , Brad !!!
   Anyway, my question is about the dewclaws found on Pyr's.  I've heard from several people that Pyrs should have them and they shouldn't be removed.  healed, but I've begun to wonder whether the claws could pose a continual problem, and if so,   whether having them removed would be better for the dog. >>>>>>>>>>>>>.I wouldn't do it ,Brad~~Just My Opinion, but, I've had Pyrs. for several years now and "nary" a problem with their dews~~It sounds like Caesar had an unfiortunate accident~~
note: we do keep his nails clipped -- typically done every 6 weeks or so~~~~Brad, Just My Opinion again, but~~if Caesar is not continuously on concrete, and gets lots of walks, the other nails are not getting worn down~~every 6 weeks of cutting nails should be something like every 3 weeks~( Be very careful tho if You are to go to this schedule~the "quick" in the nail must be watched out for~~it will recede with regular cutting of the nail until then, be careful  of that "quick" )

PS: the operation to remove those dews is NOT simple~~they are NOT like the dews on other dogs and are actually part of the boney structure of the foot/leg~~

HERE'S A LINK

Pamc

Pyralive@aol.com

"We need not think alike to love alike "

Pictures~~My "Furfamily"~~Past and Present