[pyrnet] Carting Training

Hello,
I love carting with pyrs. I have been doing it for about 3 years and learned a great deal from a video available through dog works. It was made with newfie's but everything is really the same on the training etc. We have two carts (both homemade), one "parade cart" that was made so my little boy could ride in it while being pulled and another "competition cart" that is made light and thin for draft dog trials and tests.

It is a fun and the dogs seem to get into it...they are doing something for real.

One thing to remember is not to start your dog pulling anyting unti they are at least 18 months old. This is a good rule of thumb to allow them to grow up (bones and muscles) first. Our Julie is 16 months old now and maybe in one month she will start wearing just the harness. Once she hits 18 months or more we begin by having the dog drag the traces behind them (really no weight yet), then a sack attached to the traces, then a weighted sack...you get the idea.

I hope this helps.

Keith, Soo, Dustin, and Julie