RE: [pyrnet] Unequal friendships --- and holiday helping!

Shirley;

When Czar (118# male) and I completed our puppy and intermediate training
classes, the instructor would divide the class into (2) groups for puppy
play time off leash.  The big dogs would go outside in the fenced area to
run and play and socialize without having to worry about leashes.  The
instructor kept Czar inside with the small dogs.  This was to allow Czar to
interact with the small animals, and also have the small dogs become
accustom to such a large creature!  Czar, of course walked around them as
though he was on tippy toes, ever so gentle, as they climbed and jumped and
barked their little heads off trying to intimidate him.  It was hilarious!
Right from the onset of his first experience with small dogs in class, he
has an incredible sense of needing to be extra careful and gentle around
such small creatures.  This holds true as well with our 8 pound cat Voo-Doo,
who curls up in his tail to sleep.  He is ever so gentle and respectful of
anything smaller than he, and has the urge to stand over it or along side it
"to protect it". This is inherent within the breed, and he displays this
with any small dog he plays with at Doggie Daycare as well.

I hope this helps.

Beth and Czar (Pyr) and Raisa (Alaskan Malamute) in Rural Wisconsin