[pyrnet] HEALTH: Prozac for Pyrs

Good Morning everyone!
I am starting Sophie  on Prozac this week (as a last resort) and was looking to the list for advise on experience/dosage.  My vet has prescribed the lowest end of dosage, which is about half for a normal dog of 114 pounds, recognizing that Pyrs metabolism IS different.

Sophie has HUGE separation anxieties, and it gets worse, and worse.  I have owned her for four years, she was an owner surrender at age three (and I am her fifth home), only because the mother had to go back to work and she could not be left without breaking out of the house and was in danger of getting hit by a car.

I quit my full-time job away from the home and work out of the house and I had moved my ENTIRE house and family out to ten acres to help, but that situation did not work, so we are back in the city in my home of 14 years.  She has broken out every window on the main floor of this home and chewed through doors like a beaver.  Currently, it is cool enough that I can leave her in the yard when I leave for short periods.  I have a five foot wall surrounding the property and she has shown no desire to escape.  Up until four weeks ago, I was able to bring her with me if I had a night commitment.  The first time, she turned into a piece of boneless chicken and somehow got through four inches of window (it was about 50 degrees outside, so she was NOT hot).  Then she chewed OFF the entire inside door of my Explorer and let herself out.  The first time, she went into the Sam's Warehouse Club where I ran in to get laundry detergent, bleach and paper towels (essentials).  There came an announcement that there was "a Polar Bear loose in the store" and would the owner come to get her (she was just trying to get a hot dog~)

All kidding aside, I am concerned for her safety and am trying to prepare for the coming summer  months when I will not leave her out in 90 plus degree weather.

She has had regular vet check-ups every six months and has had x-rays, sonograms, everything to determine she is a sound, healthy dog and there should be no physical reason for her to be acting this way.  She is my most solid dog in temperament (aside from the destruction) and is excellent with every living creature she comes into contact with, including kids, cats, puppies, and other dogs.  Currently, she is being treated for a sinus infection (on the left side).  I noticed her to have two nose bleeds (that I witnessed) and she started snoring in a way that concerned me.  My vet has prescribed Baytril for the next week and if it does not clear up they will do a nasal flush under anesthesia.  While this is a new condition and I am treating it as conservatively as I can, her underlying issue of separation anxiety has gone from bad to worse and I fear for her safety.  It is incredible that she has only suffered minor abrasions during her Peter Pan episodes of flying through glass windows...and you can see from my signature line that there is PLENTY of company here - so don't recommend that I get her a cat for company :)

Please help!
Regards,
Lisa
Oliver (Beardie), Derby (Aussie), Jelly (Tibetan Terrier), Taffy (Kuvasz)
Sophie, Baloo, CeeCee, Tonka, Cubbie, & trixiesueFRANCES (Great Pyrenees)
ALL RESCUED!
Oliver's House, Incorporated - 561.379.8328 - oliverslb@aol.com
"Dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation, and placement of dogs in Palm Beach County"
www.oliverslb.com