Re: [inbox] [pyrnet] Re: Rescue: Parade at Nationals

On 7 May 2006 at 18:42, Barb Bowes wrote:

> As breeders  I hope that they will love the breed enough to
> understand that even though most Rescue dogs are not "well bred",
> those pups never asked to be born and they still need our love and
> support as they are after all, Great Pyrenees. IMO, if one truly loves
> the breed then they love all within the breed. The backyard and
> puppymill dogs as well as the ones with Champions in their pedigree.
> At the end of the day they are still all Pyrs.

Yes and whether we breed or do rescue WE ALL have a responsibility
to the breed!  In rescue we see more and more of the poorly bred with
serious, neglect, health issues and of more concern, extremely poor
temperament. The Pyr Discussion groups are rampant with folks who do
not understand the breed.  Who tell of their Pyr growling at or biting a
family member. It is going to take all of us to deal with these problems to
protect our breed reputation.  With public hysteria building regarding
Breed Specific Legislation, our breed WILL be next.  Other white LGD
have already been specified as dangerous dogs.  The general public
does not, will not, differentiate between the Anatolian, Kuvasz,
Maremma or Great Pyrenees.  Those involved in breeding and rescue
need to Educate the Public, just as GPCA Public Education is a high
priority.  What a blessing that most of the 44 had good temperaments.
Every Pyr owner needs to become an ambassador of the breed!

Judith S. Miller
Northern New Mexico Great Pyrenees Rescue
jsmiller@newmex.com