Re: [inbox] [pyrnet] Re: Rescue: Parade at Nationals

On 8 May 2006 at 6:21, Barb Bowes wrote:

> We should all work together for the
> good of the breed. Puppymills should be stopped, but with the USDA
> encouraging the breeding of dogs to farmers as a "cash crop", I doubt
> that will be possible. Anyway, it is a vicious cycle.

Unfortunately, a cycle that is out of control. As is the case in TX. All over
the country for that matter!  Here in NM we have no history of the
breeders of the Pyrs coming from the shelters.  The folks who do call
about placing a pyr, when asked about their breeder say.....oh some guy
down south with livestock who is breeding pyrs. Or some guy who was
selling pyrs out of the back of his truck. Or a neighbor who used to
breed Pyrs and has moved away.  Few even remember the name of the
breeder. Now we see crosses, Pyr/Anatolian, Pyr/Akbash being bred by
the livestock people down south. Of more concern is the reported
temperament of Pyrs coming into the shelter in Clovis.  We suspect
these Pyrs are being bred across the state line in TX at a feedlot. Many
of them have Ehrlichiosis and are very ill - is it the disease or
temperament?

Public Education is the key. If people are not interested in a rescue,
then, refer them to the GPCA Breeder Referral Service and explain why
in detail.  Sadly, there will always be the impulse buyer out there, or the
person who feels sorry for a puppy and buys to get the pup out of it's
present conditions. This just promotes irresponsible breeding. It takes
all of us, breeders, rescues, all Pyr owners to maintain the integrity of
the breed.  Sadly, this is not a perfect world and we will always be faced
with these issues.

Judith S. Miller
Northern New Mexico Great Pyrenees Rescue
jsmiller@newmex.com