RE: [pyrnet] Getting a handle on Pyr hair and bathing.....

Nancy;

We use the Dyson vacuum for our canine companions and absolutely love it.  I
have (1) Pyr and (1) Alaskan Malamute, and the Mal hair far exceeds the Pyr
hair, especially this time of the year when the Mal, Raisa, is blowing her
coat and it falls out in clumps.  We do vacuum every day, but we only have
hard wood floors and tile, and area rugs in the main areas.  We brush Czar,
our Pyr, at least 2-3 times a day, as he scratches his back in the grass,
and patrols the 6 acres of fenced wooded property that we have surrounding
our house.  Any kind of debris you can think of gets stuck in that fine,
silky hair, and we keep (1) brush and towels at our front door, and (1)
brush and towels at the garage door.  Every entrance we clean feet and brush
hair, and that minimizes what is left in the house. The excess hair, we
place in strategic places outside, and the birds use the silk and wool for
their nests.  It is a wonderful insulator for them. When the birds are done
with their nests, I bring the nests inside and keep them on display.  I now
have (5) nests inside that are swirled with a combination of Great Pyrenees
and Alaskan Malamute hair, and it looks pretty cool!

Czar, our Pyr, goes to the groomer every 8 weeks for bath, hair trim, nails,
ears, etc.  It is his day at the beauty parlor and he loves it.  3 weeks ago
when I took him, a troop of (8) girl scouts were there to earn their "pet
badge", and Czar was the grooming model.  When I picked him up at 7:00 pm
that night, there were (8) girl scouts scratching his butt, and it looked
like he was in heaven....Czar sure has a tough life!!!!  We tried taking him
every 12 weeks, but the longer his hair gets, the more debris get stuck, so
we decided to take him in every 8 weeks, and that seems to work perfect.
This does not include, however, the time he and Raisa were sprayed by (2)
skunks.....nasty, nasty, nasty.

I hope that helps Nancy!  Bless you for your care of the rescue Pyrs! They
are very lucky dogs!

Beth and Czar (Pyr) and Raisa (Alaskan Malamute) in Rural Wisconsin