[pyrnet] A story about Pyr temperament

Well, maybe not all pyr temperaments, but here is a story about our Julie.

Temperament is very important to us and is always a top consideration when we are talking to breeders and potential mates for Julie.  We realize that genetics can only account for so much and so we make many efforts to socialize our pyrs with other dogs and lots of people.

So, just a few weeks ago we entered our Julie in an ATTS temperament test here in Pocatello Idaho.  Before the dog takes the test, the handlers do a "walk-through" with the tester. The very first test is called the neutral stranger and this is where a person pays absolutely no attention to the dog, but rather engages the handler in cordial conversation for 15 seconds or so.  The chief tester told us that --while it has never happened that a dog was actually given a full score of 10-- to achieve this, the dog would have to watch the stranger approach...even pull to see the stranger...then when the stranger shakes hands, the dog should sniff the stranger, examine the stranger completely, sniff, maybe even jump at the hand shake to examine it.  The dog should place itself between the handler and stranger and try to really check out the stranger...maybe even jump onto the stranger.  Now none of this should be aggressive he told us, but rather an examination, curiosity, etc.  Lastly, when the stranger leaves, the dog should follow the stranger, even pull again to examine.

"Well", I thought to myself..."exuberant Julie will probably do some of those things".  So confidently I began our test later in the day.  Julie must have heard the tester (she really did not) and thought it was a script she was supposed to follow.  She did all he said --nearly to a tee-- and more.  She even stood up on her hind legs and when the lady neutral stranger turned to leave there was Julie...eye to eye with her.  Then ensued a bit of free-form dance shall we say.  Well, all were in stitches and by the end of the test Julie had earned herself a temperament title (we will post photos on the website soon).

We are proud of her.  I was reminded by the tester that jumping up on people really should not be encouraged.  This we knew, but during the test the handler is not allowed to give any commands to his dog.  It is just all dog in there...all Julie!

By the way, Julie is the first dog ever to score a full 10 on that test.

Julie truly loves people and her family.  She loves going anywhere with us, but is happiest when the entire family is together no matter where that is.   She also loves other dogs...when we still had Romy, she was dominant from day 1.  She would hover over him (like some other folks mentioned their Pyrs are doing) but Romy did not mind at all.  I think he was completely confident with himself and allowed the pup to have her way.  She was literally all over him --pulling, tugging, even humping!  :)

Oh well, better go.

Keith, Soo, Dustin, and Julie