Re: [pyrnet] FW: CHAT, RESCUE

Hi, I basically lurk around here. I, too, had never heard of the term LGD, so I looked it up. I think people need to be cautioned and realize that while Pyr's have an innate ability to herd and guard animals, not ALL are fit for it. Both my Pyr's are rescues that I took in. One of them started killing the livestock that it was acquired to protect. It was caught in the act. The owners wanted the dog destroyed. I talked them in to giving it to me. Is he a viscous animal? No. I think it all boiled down to attention. The animals he was protecting received all the attention and he was an after thought. Dogs need attention, too. He gets plenty of attention here. In fact a have a picture of him sharing his food with a couple of my cats. We haven't had a problem between him and any of our other animals. You'll usually see him with one of our cats around him. I love him dearly and he is a big sweet heart. He just isn't cut out as a LGD. Just because, in general, the Pyr's are great LGD's, doesn't meant each individual with in the breed is cut out as a LGD. Example, my is the biggest sweetheart. But he's more suited as a companion animal.