Re: [pyrnet] Behavior Question - Need Help!

"Pyrs who are in the fields with their flocks work at night because that is
when the predators are most active, especially around dawn and dusk.  I
think you and Misha are hitting upon an instinctive time to be on watch and
a nice time of the year to be outdoors in the evening.  Combine those and
Misha lays down to go on alert in an energy effecient way.   MIsha is not a
working dog so she may not be sure why she feels this way and once you get
her back in the house, she knows she is off duty and goes back to her usual
behavior.  I often find Charlie or Sweetie laying in the middle of the lawn
or under a tree in the shade barking periodically just to let the bear
ghosts know they are on the job but not expending any extra energy."

I am a new member of Pyrnet and have been lurking for a few weeks now.  I have had Pyrs for 5 years and I currently have four - all are working Pyrs (all are spayed and neutered).  My first thought was exactly what Amy said - nighttime is "Pyr time".  This is when they work.  And so I think it is perfectly natural for a Pyr to decide that she wants to lay down outside and not come in the house at night.  This is just instinctively what they do.

It has been very interesting to me to read all of the posts from Pyr owners who have "indoor" Pyrs.  I can't imagine.  Not because I can't imagine having one in the house; I would LOVE to have one in the house.  I just cannot imagine them actually being happy there!   I have thought a lot lately about getting a Pyr puppy to show.  I show Italian Greyhounds, so this is not an outlandish thought for me (although I kind of like my "wash and wear" breed!). :)   But this is one of the reasons why I joined this board - to hear how the household Pyrs adapt to that life as opposed to doing what they seem to do best, which is to be the very, very best keepers of my flock that I could ever ask for.  The stories I could tell about their devotion!  They are truly a remarkable breed and I adore them!  So, I thank you all for allowing me to lurk, and to join in.  I think I can learn a lot from all of you!