Re: [pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20060701

Hello all,
I am new, both to the listserve and to the breed. However, in raising 3 children--now of college age, I have found that it is helpful to read all the books available and consider all reasonable advice. Then use your common sense and intuition. I went to quite a few parenting trainings and yet still had problems. Turned out that two of my children were adhd and dyslexic. If I had applied some of the methods recommended, it could have caused harm. I personally feel that we know our dogs best and if we feel that a method isn't right, it is usually best to try something else. Good luck with your new baby. We currently have 7 dogs all rescues and each is a little or a lot different. I have to say we all love our GP rescue. He had been dumped & shot at 10 weeks old and is now a healthy, happy 8 month old, but a bit shy and skittish with strangers and unfamiliar situations.
Shari and Benjamin

In a message dated 7/5/2006 10:36:26 A.M. Central Standard Time, Bethany.Viney@tdstelecom.com writes:
Jane;

Thank you for reinforcing that I was not lashing out or criticizing Cesar Milan; as I had indicated in my original email, I have never watched his show nor personally researched his training methods.  I was only relaying what had appeared here locally, since his name was mentioned in an email by Manny.

I can only personally attest to the training methods of Dr. Patricia McConnell, and that it was life altering for me personally to complete her training.  It was the perfect training for Czar, my Pyr, and I do agree with you completely that the Pyr is a different "Dog" altogether.  After raising Alaskan Malamutes for 20 years, I can attest to the fact they are like night and day difference in temperament, personality, training methods, etc.

Each of us, I am sure has found a way to find that perfect bond with our canine Pyrs.  Whether it is training from Cesar Milan, Dr. Patricia McConnel, Pet Smart, or other local sources, if it is positive training for both the human and the canine, then it is a perfect fit and will lead to a long lasting relationship with your best friend. Czar, my Pyr and I have have a terrific relationship of mutual respect, love and total admiration for each other.  He understands his boundaries with me and never, ever tries to test.  He is a wonderful gentle soul, who is this big white fluffball of docility, peace, comfort, love, and understanding.  He is an amazing animal that has brought much joy to the folks we visit in our volunteer efforts at a local nursing home, who just go crazy when we walk into their room.

I apologize if I have offended anyone by passing along the information regarding Cesar Milan. It was not meant to ridicule or make assumptions.  I was just relaying information I had run across.

In the mean time, I am looking forward to a new addition to the family, a male Newfoundland pup that will be joining us in early August.  I have already checked out the available local training classes from Dr. Patricia McConnell of Dogs Best Friends Training, and will be taking the new guy through her entire suite of classes, just as I had done Czar, the Pyr.  I am very much anticipating much of the same results with the Newf, as with Czar.

Beth and Czar (Pyr) and Raisa (Alaskan Malamute) in Rural Wisconsin

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org [mailto:owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org] On Behalf Of Marymjm@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 1:21 PM
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20060701

I do not believe anyone is lashing out at Cesar. I, as Bethany, have no opinion one way or the other. It's an individual choice. But let it be known that the Pyr is a different "Dog" altogether. And far apart from the others. I have not seen a DVD, nor have I attendended one of Milan's seminars. Although I have done some reading on his methods.

Yes, we should be careful not to jump to conclusions. One way or the other.

I do have great respect for Dr. Patricia McConnell and her training ability and expertise. She is one of the best. I am a proud member of WPR and listen to Larry and Patricia every Saturday morning. Not just for My Guys, but for all the information and insight that comes from the "Calling All Pets" Show. And unless you have lived with and Lived For a Great Pyrenees for quite some time, you have absolutely no idea what these special ones are all about. They are non alike to any other. The positive reinforcement has proven itself in the training of my Pyrs over the years. And believe me. It's been many, many, many, years.

It's been a life of mutual respect and love on both sides. With NO battles over who is in charge. It has indeed come about with positive reinforcement. Although I didn't realize what I was doing when I did it. It came ever so naturally. (Perhaps from my life with horses?) I would highly recommend Beth's link to Patricia's Web site. It's an individual choice. As would be all things in your lives.

Be Well,

Let us continue to learn. I shall also check out Cesar Milan. I'm never too old to learn. Eh?

Jane and
Rainbow, on the North Shore of Lake Superior. Minnesota