Re: [pyrnet] (no subject)

Hi Jennifer
What you're working through is a combination of problems and none of them are an quick easy fix.  I congratulate you on your determination.  I have a boy who reacts very much as your girl when strangers reach out to touch.  Have whoever reaches out to pet not touch the top of her head or at least initially don't reach for the top of her head.  Pyrs are a dominant breed to begin with and this is a show of dominance.  She feels she only needs to answer to her pack (you and your family).  As her socialization to begin with was poor, she still does not feel confident enough to be entirely passive (it goes against her nature).
As far as your 2 dogs getting along, you've illiminated one of the causes of aggression, the food bowl.  To a degree over time they will work it out.  I've been told by a couple of trainers as well as a couple of pyr breeders that the best way is to allow them to work it out.  Now that being said, you have already had a vet bill out of this....my question is....was this episode over food?  Posturing, hard stares, growling, standing over, body slams these are all dominance gestures and you shouldn't interfere with these.  If you do....your problems will continue.  They've accepted you as alpha, it's the next position that's in contention.  Your girl wants this....in pyrs this seems to be the way.  My boys will roll to a strong bitch every time, but they've also been left to work out their own power struggles.  I keep two males....for 2 yrs neither were altered, Mushu was eventually altered due to health problems, but I never had problems with them fighting.  I also allowed posturing, and some growling.  It's not nice but it's their way of communicating.  Your trainer is probably right, they will work it out if you let them.
Ciao
Heather
Shakespeare and Mushu raw fed pyrs

Cheryl,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.  They are both spayed and neutered.  I don't know what I would do if they weren't.  My trainer seems to believe that they'll work it out.  I have hope.  I think that Lily's fear/shyness plays into their difficulties.  Sometimes she reads Bailey the wrong way and sometimes he reads her the wrong way.  (They need doggie translators!!!!)  Since I've had her she's been exposed to lots of stuff, but I didn't have her during her "critical socialzation period".  Like I said she's naturally shy.  Sometimes she just doesn't feel comfortable with a person and she'll dodge away from them like they are going to strike her.  She doesn't do this as much, but it breaks my heart.  Have you ever run into a truly shy great pyr?
Jennifer