Re: [pyrnet] (no subject)

On 9/24/06, Heather <standingoak@sympatico.ca> wrote:
Hi Jennifer
What you're working through is a combination of problems and none of them are an quick easy fix.  I congratulate you on your determination.  I have a boy who reacts very much as your girl when strangers reach out to touch.  Have whoever reaches out to pet not touch the top of her head or at least initially don't reach for the top of her head.  Pyrs are a dominant breed to begin with and this is a show of dominance.  She feels she only needs to answer to her pack (you and your family).  As her socialization to begin with was poor, she still does not feel confident enough to be entirely passive (it goes against her nature).
As far as your 2 dogs getting along, you've illiminated one of the causes of aggression, the food bowl.  To a degree over time they will work it out.

Heather
Shakespeare and Mushu raw fed pyrs

Just to add my two cents to the "dog bowl" feeding issues.  And again - as heather says, you've got one vet bill already.  Toby was the sweetest most TOTALLY non alpha guy I've ever known... but one day, he snapped at Ski (female, good buddy) at feeding time and I believe, accidental got her ear.  Prompt infection... 800.00 vet bill - for dogs with never a problem, ever before.  Learned my lesson - too expensive.  I made two short chain ties and when fed, they were tied.  Then bowls picked up and they could be loose.

--
Linda Anderson
Nightsky Farm