Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2006 1:37 PM
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] (no subject)

Hi,
When I first got Lily she seemed over the moon for Bailey.  She did not trust me at all, but she instantly liked him.  (Like a child in an orphanage that accepts strangers too quickly.)  Since Bailey is naturally reserved he didn't take to her as quickly.  I should tell you that Bailey is a reformed dog fighter.  I believe that he had to defend himself many times before I got him. I is the SWEETEST dog with people.  He's always everyone's favorite.  Anyway, she liked him right off.  As she got comfortable she started doing regular silly puppy things like jumping on him, running out of the back door at full speed and knocking him to the side.  (To fix this I started making them sit before I opened the door.)  Bailey took all these puppy antics in stride and then... BOOM!!!!!!!  He blew up.  Lily did not act as she should have, a cowed young pup.  My trainer says that her social development with people and with dogs was retarded by her moron owners.  So... Lily didn't understand him and she went on the defensive.  This was in November and lasted until December/January.  By the end of January they seemed to have worked things out and stuff settled down.  I was shocked when they fought again 3 weeks ago.  I had that sick, helpless feeling.  Like I said before I didn't want to rehome anybody.
This is what happened:

I was feeding everyone.  (I put her food down first, because in my eyes she's the alpha.  Bailey so often cow tows to her. I think she'll be a good alpha when she grows up... in what... about 1 year?)  Anyway, I had Lily's food bowl in my hand.  I stupidly called her to "kennel up" not realizing that she would have to run by Bailey to get to her crate.  As she ran by him she grabbed and released his muzzle.  (She did not hurt him.  It was like someone grabbing your arm to stop you from doing something.)  Well, that was it for Bailey.  He ran after her and grabbed her by the back trying to knock her down.  I waited about 5-10 seconds before I reacted, but it was clear that Bailey was too serious for my taste.  When I was finally able to get him off, Lily came up with a full head of steam to defend herself.  I wrangled them in the bedroom and had one in each hand.  I got Lily to watch me and told her "easy".  She settled.  Bailey was still revved up.  I honestly don't know how I got him out of the room, but Lily remained in my bedroom.  He was bleeding.  He had a puncture wound on the underside of his jaw and bite marks on his head and muzzle... nothing too bad.  However, Lily did manage to rip into the biggest pad of his left paw.  That's how it went down.

Now after the fight they acted a little different toward each other... more cautious.  That's when the hard stares (mostly from her.  He looks away quickly.)  began.  She's the one that knocks him over.  I don't interfere unless Bailey tenses up, because his fuse is sooooo short and he's so overreative.
So if you can help.... help!!!
Jennifer