Re: [pyrnet] Orthopedic question

Hi Sheri

Bless you for caring so much.  No way to know how big this boy might get as from your description he sounds like a mix.

In my prior life before going completely to the dogs I was a Registered Physical Therapist and in my early days as a Therapist the procedure you describe for the dog was fairly common as this was before total hips and some of the prosthetic heads now available.  These procedures on Humans were remarkably sucessful and I think the same is true now for the animals it is being emplopyed upon.  The femoral head is removed and the area establishes essentially scar tissue within the joint capsule.  Scar tissue if very tough and has no sensory innervations, so there is not pain from this area.  Once all this is established and the strength and range of motion returns your dog should do fine.  If I had him, thats what I would do without reservation and I would skip the Ortho consult as they will likely want to do the better procedure at 3K.  No doubt the total hip is the better procedure, but the other procedure is acceptable and will give your dog a likely very nice outcome.  Thats what you want it sounds like.  Save the 100 bucks or whatever on the ortho consult and let your country GP Vet do the procedure if he will.

Good luck and let us know what you do and the outcome.

Joe