I usually feed him once in the morning. He has a mouthful or two while I have coffee, then leaves the rest alone till I return home. He'll usually wait to eat again till he sees me eating. Like clockwork. I think I reward him so often with a little nibblet from the grill, that he's waiting to see if that will happen every night and when it doesn't, he figures its time to finish the bowl.?

I used to feed him from a stainless bowl but it would get so caked up with schmutz from his slobber and food, it grossed me out. Now I feed him from his nylon travel bowl and it seems to stay cleaner.

~Jason & Chevy

On Jul 7, 2008, at 12:54 PM, Amy Bailey wrote:

Do your dogs lay down to eat?? My male pyr almost never eats standing up.? He lays down in a comfortable spot then stretches out his paw to pull the bowl over to him.? My female eats the “best parts” of all of the bowls standing – and ?the boys usually let her - and then lays down to finish the kibble.? ?The pug sits and waits for permission from the big dogs and then he eats standing up.? If you know a pug’s eating habits – they are chubby for a reason – this is truly amazing.? I use three heavy ceramic bowls.
?
Amy with Charlie (pyr), Sweetie (pyr) and Harry Pugger.
?
From:?owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org [mailto:owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org]?On Behalf Of?Viney, Bethany
Sent:?Monday, July 07, 2008 1:31 PM
To:?pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject:?RE: [pyrnet] old pyr health question
?
Hi everyone;
?
Interesting topic.? My Pyr, Czar, will stop short of eating out of his stainless steel bowl right before he gets to the bottom.? He will then stop, stare at the bowl, and talk to it.? I then have to walk over to the bowl, shake up the food, bend over and tilt and hold the bowl for him to finish.? Czar is almost 7, and I had to start doing this about 2 years ago.? I have assumed he doesn't like the feel of the stainless steel on his tongue.? But, I have tried different bowls, plastic, ceramic, etc, and he still does the same thing.
?
Is this a Pyr thing?? None of my other working dogs have ever acted in this fashion before.? I just tell him he is being silly....:-)
?
Beth, Czar (Pyr), Osa (Newf) and Tundra (Pyr) in Rural Wisconsin