[pyrnet] Allergies

I adopted a 9 week old Pyr puppy in November of 2006 and she will be 2 on Labor Day.  She was born in a puppy mill, so her health history is completely unknown.  She is now 106 lbs.  She started having ear infections, and then some bacterial infection spots on her belly.  It looked like ringworm, but it was bacterial.  The vet told me that in dogs, allergies are manifested on the skin, particularly the skin in the ears and under the tail.  The vet recommended I give her Benedryl or Claritin, and the Benedryl was the most effective, but you have to give it 3 times a day.  I have been giving her Claritin, which is two pills once a day, and I buy generic from Sam's.  She is an indoor dog, and her skin problems are 98% under control.  We haven't had any more ear infections, and she scratches from time to time, but nothing chronic.  I use Revolution for flea and heartworm control.  I also use Zymox Otic drops from time to time in her ears (www.kvvet.com) and I put her on California Natural Lamb and Rice dry food (www.naturapet.com) since it was recommended as good for allergies.  As a disclaimer, you should always check with your veterinarian before trying any medications or treatments, and my only connection with KV-Vet and Naturapet is that I have been a customer of theirs for years.
Wishing you all best of luck with any doggie problems you are having.

Darla and the Gang