[pyrnet] CHAT, HEALTH : Allergies & homemade dog food

I have been dealing with what seems to be food-related allergies in Pico for the past year or so and I am trying to figure out my next steps as things don’t seem to be getting better.

His symptoms are that he getting yeast (cultured) infections in his ears, his eyelids get swollen and inflamed, his eyes turn red and the front of his muzzle around his nose gets inflamed. The symptoms go away after I treat with eye and ear drops but keep coming back. He has also started developing fatty tumors. He must have at least 5 and I found a new one on his leg this morning.

We have tried at least 6-7 different kinds of food, a couple lamb and rice, lamb and barley, a couple different fish and potato and EVO red bites. I have tried Benadryl, vitamin C and vitamin E. Last weekend, I came home and he had horrible diarrhea in the house, so he has been on rice since Monday. I tried adding some hamburger into the rice on Wednesday, but he got snuffly that night, so I stopped. I am wondering if I should continue to cook his food for him so that I can control the ingredients more carefully. I know that there is the option of BARF feeding, but that is not something that I want to get into right now. There are a lot of recipes out there on the net and I don’t really mind the cooking if it will take care of his problems or at least identify what causes his problems.

Has anyone cooked food for their PYR?

I have an appt with his vet tomorrow and I am going to have his thyroid tested again. I had a full thyroid panel done about 6 months ago and one of the results was low normal, but the vet didn’t think I should give him medication at that point. I am also going to ask about allergy blood testing.

Has anyone had any success with blood or skin testing with their Pyrs?

Thanks,

Elaine, Pico and Laela