Re: [pyrnet] CHAT, HEALTH : Allergies & homemade dog food

On 14 Nov 2008 at 18:01, Elaine wrote:

> I have an appt with his vet tomorrow and I am going to have his thyroid tested again. I had a full thyroid panel done about 6 months ago and one of the results was low normal, but the vet didn´t think I should give him medication at that point. I am also going to ask about allergy blood testing.
>
> ?
>
> Has anyone had any success with blood or skin testing with their Pyrs?
>
> ?
I have had great success with allergy blood testing on one of our rescues.  It's important to
have the full panel run, especially on the specialty foods, like rabbit, duck, etc.  Our rescue
girl is not only allergic to many pollens, trees, grasses and weeds, molds, dust mites, but also
milk, beef, dairy, etc.  She has been on antigen load dose for almost a year and she is down
to one injection a month, with antihistamines as support, along with appropriate diet.  We
elected to have the blood testing done because the closest skin testing is a 3-4 hour drive
from us.

It is always good to home cook, but you do need to know what the dog is allergic to first.
For example, our Cherry is allergic to beef, chicken, Cow's milk, turkey,wheat, duck, green
beans and rabbit.  Who would have known... :(

Judith S. Miller
Northern New Mexico Great Pyrenees Rescue
http://www.caerbannog-grtpyrs.com/workable%20pages/rescue.html
jsmiller@newmex.com