[pyrnet] Grieving Pyr (Sorry: this a LONG email)

Greetings All:
re: I have a sinking feeling our Pyr may exhibit behavior

I may misunderstand &/or misinterpet when he realizes our Newf is really gone

As of today, Our Newf is 12 years, 7 months and our Pyr 9 years 7 months.

I would appreciate any advice or experience you have with what I believe may be a grieving Pyr.
This is a long email. I apologize in advance to those of you who may be trying to unsubscribe.
As the holidays approach I am receiving a ton of email - and understand if you pass over this one

 I feet it important to provide a little background about my dogs to understand our Pyr's character.
(I adore the quirky traits of the Pyr )

The Issue: Our Newf has spent the night at the vet before and our Pyr was ok with it.
We saw this day coming, but this morning, our Newf could not move his lower body.
Today, we took him to a different vet (a highly recommended large animal vet).
Our Newf developed cervical spine problems about a year ago. He has had excellent medical
care. The swimming pool and other active play has prolonged his functioning and quality of life longer than predicted.
He could hop with his back legs - but there was no real steady gait.
He could still swim but eventually realized he ccould not get in the pool even with
a canine life jacket - he hated our baby pool idea.

In short: our once active outdoor aging Newf is very likely NOT coming home.
We are sick with grief about this and get very teary when we think or talk about
our Newf.

To compound the matter: it has only been 14 hours and our Pyr is behaving
in a manner I have never seen and can barely fathom.
Our Pyr had to know  our Newf was dying.
He (Pyr) ate his dinner this evening, I played with him for a very short 5 minutes
and instead of going outside (he loves the weather this time of year), he went to one of
his isolated spots and sat facing wall.
15 minutes later he moved to another spot and fell asleep facing the wall.

Indoors or out, our Pyr NEVER leaves himself vulnerable. He loves little kisses
on his muzzle and this evening he simply let me do it and stood there stiffly with a blank
_expression_ (he did not lean into me the way Pyrs usuallydo).

I've always viewed our Pyr as kind of a loner and apparently have never understood his relationship with our Newf.
I do not know what to do: If our Pyr's withdrawn behavior today is even a slight indication of days ahead.
I read this in a Pyr book once and never forgot it:
         lonely pyr = bored pyr = destructive pyr

Background:
For the most part, we have always had long lived Pyrs and Newfs.
Our last Pyr  died at age 7 leaving a younger Newf, one much older Newf and a Bouvier de Flanders
When the older Newf and Bouvier passed on we were left with the young Newf, Zeus (age 4 at the time)
Zeus is an active, outdoor, very socialized, smart and obedient water rescue dog.
He rarely barks at other dogs.
His behavior became destructive and mischievous when he  ended up the lone dog.
It was clear our Newf needed a play mate.
We bought a 3 month old male pyr, Fermat (fair-may) from a respected reputable breeder.
Our pyr was neutered young and the Newf was never neutered.

We are experienced at introducing large animal dogs to each other, recognize demonstrations of rough play  and know
separation/diversion tactics in the event of serious fighting. We
groom our dogs separately and they never
eat together.
During the first few years, our Newf never backed down to the pyr .
The Pyr would back down with timely diversionary tactics however.
Our aging Newf no longer hassles with the pyr.

We have a little over an acre of secure, fenced land that has a heavily forested area on one side.

Our Pyr has three invulnerable "cave/den" dwelling areas outdoors and three indoors.
The Pyr is not much of a barker indoors or out.
If a critter (coon, armadillo) enters our property, the Pyr runs it down and the Newf kills it.
The Pyr is jealous when the Newf receives more attention from strangers, he also will take the Newf's toys even though the Pyr does not want them.

The Pyr and Newf  team up when they need to,
lick one another's wounds, but other than that, to me it seemed that they simply co-existed.  Other than trips to the vet, our Pyr has never left our property. He is friendly to service people, loves children and family members who enter our property (there is no way to drive in - all vehicles are outside the gate).

I have overindulged our Pyr.
He is used to a lot of affection, exercise, rough play and teasing.
He obeys my husband 100% of the time
He can be stubborn and petulant with me, push my limits- but eventually will obey me.
Other than my husband - our Pyr is pretty much the only other being I talk to.
When a stranger, family member or neighbor approaches me, if our Pyr detects I am uncomfortable, he will stand in front of me (slightly off to the side) and will not move until I nudge him with me knee.

He does not show aggression - and his tail does not fully fan to a curl  (a pyr alert signal).

Any pointers would be helpful
Christine