Re: [pyrnet] Question

--- On Wed, 8/19/09, Gherardi <g1992@snet.net> wrote:

>Does anyone have a Pyr that waits to go outside JUST when you go upstairs to sleep and turn off the light.

Our Jack did that when he first came to live with us. He was an adult rescue with a troubled past. He did not want to be inside at night for anything and could not settle down to sleep. My original thought had been to let him spend nights in the garage until he settled in a little, but DH wouldn't hear of it. He felt we needed to immediately teach Jack that staying inside with us at night was where he belonged, and in hindsight I must say that it was absolutely the right thing to do. It took about 4 months of consistent effort to teach him to: 1) stay inside at night without tearing the house apart, 2) not bark inappropriately while inside, and 3) lay down quietly while we were sleeping. He was not crate trained so we had to be very creative, but in the end it was worth every one of the sleepless nights I spent.

Jeanne Bravin
Mastic, NY
GypsyunLTD@yahoo.com