[pyrnet] Demodectic mange :(

In a picture taken 20 Jul 09 Kodiakâs muzzle was pure white. He gradually developed a brown spot on the right side of his nose. He lost fur in that area and it is now about the size of a ping-pong ball.

I took him to the vet on Thursday and the vet took a scraping and diagnosed the condition as localized Demodectic mange. The vet explained how dips arenât really any more as effective (for localized conditions) as topicals such as the Benzoyl peroxide lotion he gave me. Further, we changed from Frontline to a topical suited to treat his condition. I waited for the topical to take effect and today (Saturday) I want to give him a serious bath and wonder if there are any topical treatments or shampoos that will help.

Last night I noticed the beginning of discoloration around his left eye and all along the bottom of his muzzle. I have read many things about the type of mange Kodi has and it seems treatments vary. I am definitely going to take him back to the Vet but I would like to know about more (aggressive) alternative ideas? Not only to treat the condition but perhaps his immune system.

Kodi is normal height and weight for his age but his living conditions for the first 10-months of his life were not ideal. He did not begin to thrive until we got him which was around 11-months. As a result, Kodi has been a late bloomer in every way. I am hoping the condition is a lingering remnant of puppy hood even though he is now 18-months old. Kodi is basically an outdoor dog but more so indoor due to the heat.

c h r i s t i n e