Re: [pyrnet] Diet question

Laurie,

If he's maintaining a healthy weight (and it sounds like he is), then I wouldn't recommend messing with his diet. For the most part they eat when they're hungry and don't eat if they aren't, thus self-regulating their weight. Often times people mess up that healthy balance by encouraging them to eat too much. I know how tempting it is to say, 'here,eat this yummy thing', and then watch how much they enjoy it. After all, we want to make them happy. Encouraging overeating isn't REALLY the way to make them happy, though!

As far as chewy things - I never had a problem with large rawhides, but I would avoid the little chip type ones. Too easy form them to choke on them. And watch those large leg (or weight-bearing) bones - they are hard enough to break to tooth! Not that you can't try them. Gypsy loves a good marrow bone now and then, and does just fine with them. But not every dog exercises discretion and sticks to eating the edible parts. You have to know and watch your dog, and judge for yourself if he will eat them nicely.

Jeanne Bravin
Mastic, NY
GypsyunLTD@yahoo.com