From: Bea Stephens <bea@winterbourn.net>
Subject: RE: [pyrnet] Update on Arizona
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Date: Monday, September 28, 2009, 12:08 PM

I used Orajel when I cut into the tumor last week. I donât know if it helped or not. Arizona is such an awesome dog. She has a high tolerance for pain. As I said before, she is a rescue that someone just threw out on the street when they decided that a tiny little dog was better for them. During her time with them, she was shot in the eye with a paintball gun, with the ball lodged in the lower eyelid. She received no medical attention. She loves me and would never consider growling when Iâm providing care to her. Although, there is no doubt she would lay down her life for me. We used her as a lifestock guardian when we lived on the farm. She almost killed another one of our dogs when she saw him heading toward the doggie door at our house. It was very early (just about dawn) in the morning. We had shaved down Ralphie the night before (heâs a mixed Irish Wolfhound-English Sheepdog). She was outside and didnât know he was shaved. All she saw was a threat to her family. Blew flew. I screamed. But Ralphie survived, and we all learned a lesson on that one.

I think Arizona would really miss her tail. Iâve heard having a dogâs tail amputated can be difficult for them. I donât know. All I know is that this tumor is right at the base of the tail. Perhaps I should ask the vet â if it were his dog, what would he do?