Re: [pyrnet] Flea treatment question

On 4 Nov 2009 at 13:41, Laurie McDonough wrote:

> It has been 15? years since I have had a dog with fleas, but somehow
> my Pyr has managed to get an infestation. We are now about 2-1/2 weeks
> since the first fleas were noticed on him.? I am against chemicals in
> most cases so I tried to be a little conservative at first, starting
> with a flea bath and?treating all the carpeted areas of the house with
> flea powder.? Still scratching so I gave him a dose of Frontline in
> one area between his shoulderblades.? Still itching so he had another
> flea bath and spot-treated places he was itching.? All of
> these?products are supposed to kill fleas for a week or ten days and
> interrupt the reproductive cycle!? Still scratching so I knew I have
> to expand my efforts, gave him another dose of Frontline in several
> spots along his back.? I also sprayed a pyrethrin-based insecticide in
> the outdoor areas where he spends his time and re-treated all the
> carpeting with a spray just today.

Whoa....a bit of over kill here with the Frontline and flea baths and toxic insecticides.
Normally, unless a serious infestation, then a regular bath with warm water and a good pet
shampoo will take care of the fleas.  One suggestion is to use Diatomaceous Earth on your
carpets ( Food Grade only ) and you can also dust your pyr with diatomaceous earth. IT
MUST BE FOOD GRADE and wear a mask when applying it to carpets or on your dogs.  A
sugar shaker works well.  Also I usually put a towel over the dogs head, so they don't ingest
any of the powder when I apply.  Food Grade DE can be found at many garden centers, but
do not buy the swimming pool grade. Also don't forget the bedding, wash in hot water and dry
in the dryer to get rid of fleas.  As to the yard fleas, many people get guinea hens or
chickens, which take care of the fleas, if your zoning permits.

http://www.safe2use.com/safe-products/diatomaceous/garrett-article.htm

As was mentioned I would evaluate your pyrs diet.  Switch to a high grade Lamb and Rice
food, with no wheat, corn or other grains < READ THE LABELS> or consider a home cooked
or raw diet.

Judith
Taos, New Mexico
jsmiller@newmex.com