RE: [pyrnet] Little sister for Kodiak

Christine;

We have an 8 year old male Pyr and a 18 month old female Pyr, (as well as a 3 year old male Newf). They all get along absolutely beautiful!!!!  From observation, I can definitely say the female Pyr rules the roost and "takes very good care" of the boys.  She is an extremely diligent worker; even more so than our male which I was surprised.  Yet, she is sweet, sweet, sweet and loves to snuggle in bed and just luv, luv, luv until there is no tomorrow!

I can say with confidence that I would never have (2) female Pyrs in terms of any potential dog-dog aggression possibilities. But I would not hesitate to get another male Pyr given the docile temperament of our male today.  But realistically, if we add a 4th to our pack, it would be a female Newf, just to balance everything out. :-)

From our experience, Pyrs and Newfs are wonderful pack mates and get along fantastic!

Beth, Czar (Pyr), Osa (Newf) and Tundra (Pyr) in rural Wisconsin

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org [mailto:owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org] On Behalf Of Judith Stroh Miller
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:07 AM
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Little sister for Kodiak

On 17 Nov 2009 at 2:46, Christine wrote:

> I suppose stubborn and endearing is stubborn and endearing. Given how
> unusual Pyrs are along with their unique breed traits, it surprises
> (and relieves) me that having a female Pyr is really no different than
> having a male Pyr. :)

both sexes can have those paste on ears and choose to hear what they want at times. ;o

Females usually mature earlier than males.

Many females will be the boss of the pack, once they mature, but not always.

both sexes can be same sex aggressive, so the male-female mix is usually best.

Once you have a Pyr, the potato chip factor kicks in - ya can't have just one - which you have
found out...  LOL

Judith
Taos, New Mexico
jsmiller@newmex.com http://www.goldstaranimalshelpingpeople.com/team.html