Re: [pyrnet] Little sister for Kodiak

On 17 Nov 2009 at 13:41, Christine wrote:

> The only advise/warning I have ever received about having Pyrs is to
> not have two males ~ How interesting your view on the two females

That is very good advice!  I had two males here and they were fine until the youngest
reached 11 months and decided he wanted to climb up the ladder a few steps and try to rule
the roost.  I could never keep them together after that, they would have fought to the death.
As it was, there were two serious altercations, one when I was being an air head and thought
I had kennelled one male, the other when the youngest male jumped over a 4.5' wall to get to
the older male.  Those boys hated each other.  This can be very difficult and one has to be
on their toes all the time. Especially if children are in the household.   I have also had
breeders share horror stories about same sex aggression. One, the owner came home and
found one male dead and the other seriously injured.    It really does depend on the
temperament in the lines. Also early neuter may help at times, but it's still a crap shoot.  My
first female was very dominant and kept all the pyrs in line here and at times there was
grumbling between females, but never to the death fights. Dissension would usually surface
when the routine is changed.  Pyrs do well with a solid routine.

There are also health considerations.  I have a four year old female who was spayed early
and just this year she started to become aggressive with the other girls.  At first I thought it
was because I had brought in a new rescue and it upset the routine here.  Turns out our Luci
was low thyroid and becoming dog aggressive.  With supplements her thyroid is normal now,
but I keep her separate from the other pyrs. Many owners either do not have the facilities or
do not have the mind-set to separate dogs.

I have a very dominant, dog aggressive female here in foster.  She is now a senior and with
the addition of her non stop barking, she is impossible to place.  She has even threatened my
male, but luckily he came when called.  I can manage her and she will have a home with me.
Her saving grace is she loves cats and has loads of dog obedience.  But I will never have two
males together again.  Plus I am getting too old to break up dog fights.

Judith
Taos, New Mexico
jsmiller@newmex.com
http://www.goldstaranimalshelpingpeople.com/team.html