RE: [pyrnet] CHAT, HEALTH : ear infection - amikacin prescribed

No experience with the drug or this type of infection – just empathy for your misery as the result of an attempted good deed.  I picked out a super healthy and yummy sounding treat for Charlie and before we reached the end of the first box he had the worst hot spots ever.  Now I walk past that brand at the feed store like it is contagious.

My thoughts are with you,  Amy  with Charlie, Sweetie and Harry Pugger

From: owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org [mailto:owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org] On Behalf Of Elaine
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:55 AM
To: Great Pyrenees Discussion List; PyrNet-L@pyrnet.org
Subject: [pyrnet] CHAT, HEALTH : ear infection - amikacin prescribed

We have been struggling with Pico’s allergies for a couple years now and I thought we were in pretty good shape. I finally found a food that seemed to agree with him, he was putting on weight, hadn’t had an eye or ear infection in months and his coat was growing back nicely. He was just doing much better in general.

Then I decided to try finding a treat for him. Two weeks later he has the mother of all ear infections. My vet treated it with a new treatment that involves filling the ear canal with some product and that is it, no ear drops, no pills. It seemed to do the trick until a couple weeks later when he had the same goop coming out of his ears. I had the vet culture the goop and it contains Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is only susceptible to Amikacin which I have to give daily by injection.

I am wondering if anyone on the list has had any experience with either this type of ear infection or this drug. If you have used this drug, did you find a cheaper place to purchase it? I picked up a vial of this antibiotic from my vet last night and the bill was $380 – OUCH! This is enough for a 10 day supply and I will probably need at least another bottle.

Elaine, Pico and Laela