Re: [pyrnet] Problems with coat

Hi Casey, Trudy and Laurie,

Your comments and suggestions have been very helpful to me. ?Perhaps her huge coat is just a natural occurrence ?responding to winter, her age, or too much protein. If it is the dog food (Evo high protein) then I am at a loss on what to feed her. ?There are too many choices! ?Laurie's question about flea preventative was very interesting. ?I was suspicious about that too. ?We used Frontline down the center of her back and on that area her coat is thick and sort of oily which is also very unusual for her and on that area there is no fluffy undercoat. Thanks you for replying

Candice and Pearl in Maine

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Laurie McDonough <laurie88888@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi Candice,

I read your post with interest.? My son has a Pyr, my dog's brother, in Maine.? Pearl's coat sounds very much like his - he looks like a huge fluffy bear.? This is also the way that my friend's farm guardian dog Pyrs look like - all living outside and in unheated barns.

Has Pearl spent more time outside this winter?

In addition to the food change, were you using a flea-preventative?? These can produce a *thin* coat.

I'm not an expert but to me this sounds like a regular, adult Pyr's coat.? Pyrs reach maturity late, I've heard 3 years so this is a little later but the food change probably had an effect.? Also, she may not be as uncomfortable as you.? You are lucky she is so patient with being brushed out!

Maybe switch her back to the Nutro or something lower protein about 3 months before you anticipate her next blown coat and see what grows in!? You could also get her clipped down to about 1" for the summer if she continues to seem uncomfortable.

Good luck -? Laurie & Bacchus

--- On Tue, 2/16/10, Candice Macbeth <clmacbeth@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Candice Macbeth <clmacbeth@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Problems with coat
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Date: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 9:40 PM

Hi Casey,?

We changed from Nutro to Evo.?
Candice
On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 8:41 PM, <soccercorgi@att.net> wrote:
Hi Candice,
?
I was just going to ask if you have switched dog foods. What are you currently feeding? It could be the food changed something, or there is something else going on. Is she spayed? Has the vet ever commented on her results from a blood draw? The high protein dog food may have something to do with it though and there may not be enough carbohydrates and fats in the food to nourish the hair enough. I hope this helps some!
?
Casey
-------------- Original message from Candice Macbeth <clmacbeth@gmail.com>: --------------

Hi?

I have been reading all your posts for years and have learned so much from all of you. ?We are having a big problem and I hope some of you may be able to help. ?We have a wonderful Pyr named, Pearl, ?who turned 5 years old this year. ?Up until her 5th birthday she had what ?I would describe as a normal coat. ?Shed about once a year with the usual amount of Pyr hair around the house. We would brush her one or two times a week with no problems. ?She is on the light side 85 lbs. ?She looked fit. ?Then this year she developed this huge coat. ?Her undercoat is like puffed out cotton candy. ?It knots in a flash, we are brushing her everyday to keep ahead of the knots and matts. She is not shedding. ?It just seems to wad together. ?She looks very different. ?People who know her keep asking if she has gained a lot of weight. ?She seems uncomfortable. ?I guess I am wondering if this is normal for an older dog? ?I have been reading breed standard and it doesn't mention a coat change. ?We did change her food about this time from one that contained wheat and corn to a high protein dog food. ?Thank you for any advice you can give

Candice and Pearl in Maine